Sunday, November 6, 2011

Guy Fawkes Day


Saturday was Guy Fawkes Day, but fireworks could be heard all weekend long.  Guy Fawkes Day commemorates how Guy Fawkes, a Catholic, was arrested while guarding explosives that a group of Catholics placed in Parliament in order to kill the Protestant king. People held bonfires in order to celebrate the king's survival. The first time I saw fireworks for sale in the grocery store in October, I was confused as to why they were there and only until November 5th. I guess I didn't remember, remember the fifth of November! More on the festivities after the jump:




The major celebration in Oxford was held at the South Park, and I went with my Kate, St. Cross friend from Canada, and Donal, her physics classmate, another St. Crosser. Walking there was crazy because it seemed that all of Oxford was on the same street trying to get down to the park. As people filed in, there was music, amusement rides, and many food and drink stands. There was even a food stand called "The Codfather" - the name was in Godfather-esque font, and the stand sold fish and chips.

The evening began with a fireworks show over a giant effigy with music playing in the background. There's nothing like Katy Perry's "Firework" to accompany some fireworks!

After the fireworks, the effigy was set on fire. The effigy design was made by a school child and chosen through a competition. This was a massive bonfire, and it kept us rather warm.



Once the wood around the burning man was gone, we were surprised to see the devil underneath it!

The neighborhood the park was in has many ethnic restaurants, so after the fireworks and bonfire we grabbed some great Turkish food before going to relax over tea in Kate's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment