My year at Oxford -- where I do more than study Facebook (censorship! packet switching! t-tests! democracy! programming!) and go to fancy dinners
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Hilary Week 9
I spent the vast majority of week 9 working on the summative for my qualitative methods class. I have started spending a lot of time in rooms of the Social Science Library that look out onto the Cherwell River.
People taking quantitative analysis had their final exam on Monday morning, and on my way out of St Cross to go to the library that afternoon, I ran into a bunch of them playing croquet and picnicking in our back quad. Nothing like people celebrating their newfound freedom to excite you on the way to do homework...
On Tuesday, I had a quick trip into London for my final Deloitte interview with a partner. This required taking time out of writing my summative to prepare the presentation I had to give to the partner. I received a formal job offer later in the week. I got lucky on my way out of Paddington - I got out of the Tube at the same time the board said a train was leaving for Oxford. It conveniently left five minutes late, so I was able to get on it instead of having to wait around the station.
I spent tons of time in the libraries coding and analyzing data, reading for a lit review, and writing up my 5000 word paper on how the official House site and campaign site for Congressman Pascrell aid in furthering citizenship (using four dimensions of citizenship defined in an academic paper). A bunch of us ended up handing in our papers at the Exam Schools around the same time on Friday, so we went to the usual post-Exam Schools pub to get some lunch. During lunch, we organized a mini class pub crawl for that night to celebrate being done with the first round of summatives for the term (even though people taking quant analysis had been done since their Monday exam), since the next two weren't due until late April. We ended the evening at a place in the city centre called The Cellar, an independent live music club. It was really fun, as it wasn't your typical music. The band there that night was The Congo Faith Healers, and they played bluesy/swing/rockabilly music that called for some cheesy dancing.
I decided to take a break from work for the weekend and spent all of Saturday and almost all of Sunday (I did some coding for my DSR summative) watching TV.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment